Moxibustion or heat therapy is a traditional Chinese treatment. People from China have used this kind of treatment for more than centuries. It comes from the Japanese word “Moe Kusa” which means “burning herb”.
Moxa is where you apply burning herbs near painful and agonizing areas of your body. The herb used in this treatment is called "Artemesia". They are aromatic leaves that are very medicinal and widely used for various natural treatments and health issues. It is a mugwort plant that contains essential oils (such as cineole, wormwood oil, and thujone), flavonoids, triterpenes, and coumarin derivatives. This type of procedure is a way o warming or heating different parts of your body.
Benefits of this kind of treatment
Back injuries can create stress because of pain and rigidity in the muscle tissue and soft tissue cells of the lumbar and lower back region. Muscle tensions can also lead to spasms. These will therefore be resulting to a blockage in blood circulation.
1. It increases oxygen delivery to tissues because of heat
2. It gets rid of carbon dioxide.
3. It lowers lactic acid and other substances that cause muscle pains.
4. Increases capabilities to stress and easily flex muscles.
5. It allows the affected muscle tissues to rest and begin with healing by dilating the blood vessels.
6. Improves blood circulation in the affected area
7. Helps lower discomfort and decrease the amount of pain signals or sensory receptors to the mind.
8. It decreases rigidity and stiffness by increasing lubrication due to heat.
9. It promotes your ability to get rid of toxins in a more natural way by increasing blood flow.
10. Promotes natural healing process of your body.
2 Types of Treatment Methods for Heat Therapy
1. Direct Contact with the skins surface.
2. Indirect Contact requires a medium such as salt, ginger, white pepper paste or garlic to be placed between the burning Moxa and the surface of the skin.
It is also commonly used to cure various illnesses such as:
1. abdominal pain
2. chest pain
3. neck pain
4. shoulder pain
5. back pain
6. menstrual problems
8. tennis elbow
9. golfers elbow
10. smoking addiction
12. chronic fatigue
13. sinus congestion
20. rheumatic pain
24. carpal tunnel
25. various gynecological conditions and a lot more
By Brian Musial
An overview in Chinese Herbal Medicine
Eat Healthy and Live a Life full of Energy